New HSK 2 Lesson 2 Grammar 3 Noun modifiers

A noun modifier is  a group of words can go before a noun to tell us more about it.

In Chinese, we can put an action before a noun by using 的 (de).

Pattern:

Person + Action + 的 + Noun

This tells us which person or thing we are talking about.

Examples:

他们卖的电影票也很便宜。

Tāmen mài de diànyǐng piào yě hěn piányi.

The movie tickets that they sell are also very cheap.

现在学中文的学生很多。

Xiànzài xué Zhōngwén de xuésheng hěn duō.

There are many students who are learning Chinese now.

这是朋友给我的杯子。

Zhè shì péngyou gěi wǒ de bēizi.

This is the cup that my friend gave me.

Remember:

The words before 的 describe the noun after 的.

--------------------------------------------------

COMPLETE THE DIALOGUES

(1)

A:这是谁买的苹果?

Zhè shì shéi mǎi de píngguǒ?

Whose apples are these that were bought?

B:我买的,很好吃。

Wǒ mǎi de, hěn hǎochī.

I bought them. They are very tasty.

--------------------------------------------------

(2)

A:我觉得你穿的衣服很好看。

Wǒ juéde nǐ chuān de yīfu hěn hǎokàn.

I think the clothes you are wearing look very nice.

B:你穿也好看,想不想买一件?

Nǐ chuān yě hǎokàn, xiǎng bu xiǎng mǎi yí jiàn?

You would look nice in it too. Do you want to buy one?

--------------------------------------------------

(3)

A:你做的菜好吃吗?

Nǐ zuò de cài hǎochī ma?

Is the food you cooked tasty?

B:很好吃,我很喜欢你做的菜。

Hěn hǎochī, wǒ hěn xǐhuan nǐ zuò de cài.

It is very tasty. I really like the dishes you cook.

--------------------------------------------------

MORE EXAMPLES

我买的书

Wǒ mǎi de shū

The book that I bought

你穿的衣服

Nǐ chuān de yīfu

The clothes that you are wearing

他做的菜

Tā zuò de cài

The food that he cooked

老师写的字

Lǎoshī xiě de zì

The characters that the teacher wrote

妈妈做的蛋糕

Māma zuò de dàngāo

The cake that Mom made

Quick tip:

Think of 的 as meaning:

"that..." or "which..."

我买的苹果

The apples that I bought.

你穿的衣服

The clothes that you are wearing.

他做的菜

The food that he cooked.